Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Observing Sweden- Heavy Metal


A Night On The Town

Big night out in Borlange, Sweden. Went to see my son law, Patrick, and his Heavy metal band – Civil War. I had expected this to be a labor of love. As you might guess, Heavy Metal is not my cup tea and there was a four hour wait before his band Civil War came on the final attraction. We passed part of the time with a leisurely dinner. I had a New York steak, which was passable. They don’t really understand steak in Sweden and keep destroying the flavor with all kinds of spices, but maybe it’s just a matter of taste. The highlight of the dinner was the potatoes which were disguised as mushrooms. I was sure they were mushrooms and cut one in half to prove this to my wife. The insides looked exactly like mushrooms, but the taste test proved my wife was right. She’s been right several times this year. They were potatoes. No idea how they make them look like that.

 There was still a lot of time left after dinner. There was a dance floor next to our table and they started playing music (Heavy Metal of course) at ten o’clock. After watching the dancers I had a need to join them and after some friendly persuasion got the wife to join me. I only lasted for one dance, but it was great fun. “I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m good once as I ever was.”
Then we went upstairs to where the bands play. I have no idea how many people were there but you had to squeeze between bodies to move from one place to another. People kept hugging me and giving me a ‘thumbs up’ I guess impressed that someone with grey hair was there, or maybe that I was still alive. I think the wife and I were the only ones over forty and probably the only ones without a tattoo. The Swedes are number one in the world for the most people having tattoos and cell phones. Civil War came one at 11:00 P.M. and played until 2:00 A.M. So many hours standing was not easy and this morning my legs still remember last night. But I had a wonderful time. We drove some of the band members home. People in Sweden do not drive after they’ve had a drink, even one. Fines are astronomical if the cops catch you. My wife does not drink.  I am one of those lucky men with a permanent designated driver.

Image
It was 4:00 A.M. when I got home, slightly drunk and totally wasted. It was a very good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment